Friday, January 22, 2016

First Blog Post - The Pacific Ocean!

Hello from the Middle of the Pacific Ocean!


    The Pacific Ocean is absolutely stunning from every angle.
    My journey began on January 4th, when I hurriedly finished packing, then completed an exhausting six hour flight from Atlanta to San Diego. Upon arrival I made my way to the Hilton Bayfront Hotel. After crashing at the Hilton for a night, at 8am the next morning I had hopped in a bus with twenty other college students and traveled two hours through Ensenada, Mexico towards our embarkation point.
The whole time I had been almost paralyzed by fears and doubts. I was questioning if I truly deserved to go on this amazing voyage and I would soon lose most all forms of communication with my family and friends. I feared going beyond my comfort zone. I feared that I would be trying to fit in where I did not belong. I feared the unknown of these countries and cultures that span the globe.
However, the moment I stepped onto the bus headed to the ship I knew that this experience was meant for me. I sat next to an awesome girl named Chaise from University of San Diego. We ended up talking the whole bus ride. On the ship, I’ve met international students from all origins, ranging from Mexico, Israel, Denmark, China, Sweden, Belgium, Puerto Rico, Cuba, Nigeria, South Africa, Ethiopia and many other countries around the world. Most of all of my peers are genuinely seeking to connect with the “other”, to be open to different experiences, cultures and peoples.

In general, the American students tend to stick together based upon geographic location and similarity of ethnic background. On the other hand, International Students tend to show much more openness to cultural differences. I’ve bonded with a mixed group of international students. We forged friendship over the past few weeks through playing card games, singing songs together and just talking about life.
     Another unique aspect of the shipboard community that I did not expect was both the faculty and “life-long learners”. The faculty is excellent and provides thought-provoking lessons that extend beyond the classroom. Students and faculty share the same spaces and can have breakfast, lunch or dinner together at any time. Therefore we to continue to have engaging conversations even after class hours end. 
         For instance, I recently grabbed lunch with my World Religions professor. We discussed both Noah’s Ark and the principles of Buddhism while enjoying a pristine view of the Pacific Ocean. 
        Additionally, "Lifelong learners" are adults typically over fifty years old who simply want to join our journey. I’ve had incredible conversations over dinner in which lifelong learners shared their insights, wisdom and world travels with my friends and myself. One of them that I spoke with has traveled to over sixty countries!

Another thing that I learned was that seasickness is a very real phenomena. The first two days I felt sick in bed and had a pounding headache. I hated the sea swells and couldn’t stand looking out of the window to watch the constant rise and pitch of our ship. A few pills of Dramamine and some sleep took care of most of it. 


         This voyage is an interesting Social Experiment. We put together 600 students of different racial backgrounds, nationalities, religions and ethnic origins onto what is basically a floating island to learn and grow as we journey around the world. We are all experiencing difficulties and hardships together. So it is really fascinating to notice the bonds forged amongst completely different people put together in the same space.
Two days ago we had our first Diversity and Inclusion Meeting. At the meeting Africans, African Americans, Hispanics and Asians were all represented. We filled out an identity sheet, showing how we uniquely define ourselves. Then we solidified plans to honor Martin Luther King’s Day. The next day, we had placards posted at each table discussing the legacy of MLK’s accomplishments and several announcements were made over the intercom as reminders. It was great.
Later that night, there happened to be an extremely entertaining Lip Synch Battle in the main hall. Nearly all 700 studets, faculty and staff came out to enjoy the festivities. The battle went great and included rollicking performances of “Hips Don’t Lie”, “Bohemian Rhapsody” and “Bop to the Top”. We wrapped up the event with a fun dance performance to “Uptown Funk”. Everyone was clapping along to the beat and enjoying the evening together. The whole event was a great success.



 As soon as the Lip Synch Battle ended and we announced that a MLK Day event would follow.  Two African American guys and I went onstage and spoke on the meaning of MLK Day and its implications for the whole community. I shared on Morehouse and the legacy that Martin Luther King left in both his collection and his ideas of a “World House”, a beloved community. As we concluded our dialogue, the question was posed: do we think that this World House concept is possible worldwide? Do we think it is possible even on this ship?
As I was walking around the next day, I was approached by an Israeli girl named Yarden. She asked about my experience as a black man in America. I wasn’t sure how to answer, so I just shared my interactions with friends and the racism I sometimes experienced during high school. Then Yarden asked me a question that I had never really thought about before. She asked about my African heritage, specifically which country in Africa my family originated from. I had never really considered my African heritage and I now believe it is important for my self identity to begin to investigate that. I am curious what I will find out once I reach Ghana and South Africa.
As you can tell, the voyage has been awesome so far. I have learned and grown so much and will continue to update you on the journey!
Up next...Japan!



4 comments:

  1. Wonderful description! I feel like I am right there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What magnificent writing. You make us feel we are sitting next to you as you experience your day. I have not seen you his happy in many years. I eagerly await your first book!! Be more focused with the picture taking. You photograph everything in sight. Please keep up the Blog. Dad

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome Austin, you are a phenomenal writer. I can't wait to read more about your trip perspective.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Enjoy the journey!!!!

    ReplyDelete